Fibroids are muscular tumors that grow on the walls of the uterus. Medically termed as ‘leiomyoma’ or ‘myoma’, uterine fibroids are made of muscle cells. A single fibroid generally measures less than 1 inch in size but it can grow up to 8 inches or even more. According to medical experts, fibroids can be divided into three groups on the basis of the location of their occurrence. They can be seen growing underneath the lining of the uterus, or on the outside of the uterus, or in between the muscles of the uterus. In certain cases, fibroids grow on peduncles (stalks) that are seen emerging out from the surface of the uterus over the cavity of the uterus.
Causes of fibroids?
It is unclear why fibroids develop. However, several factors may influence their formation:
Hormones–estrogen and progesterone are the two hormones that stimulate the development of the lining of the uterine during each menstrual cycle. These hormones appear to be a vital factor in promoting fibroid growth. Fibroids carry more estrogen and progesterone receptors than normal uterine muscle cells. This also accounts for their rapid growth during menstrual cycle and shrinkage after menopause.
Family history–there has been several evidences where fibroids run in a family. They can be genetically inherited.
Pregnancy–during pregnancy, the production of estrogen and progesterone increases rapidly in the body. This increases the chances of fibroids developing and growing rapidly during the months of pregnancy.
Miscellaneous factors–fibroids may develop from several other factors. Substances that help the body maintain the tissues, may affect fibroid growth. For example, insulin-like growth factors may speed up their development in the body.
Fibroid treatment at Ishwarya
At Ishwarya infertility center, we recommend treatment based on a variety of circumstances including fertility testing results, age, medical history, earlier infertility treatments, and personal preferences. There is a wide range of treatment options for fibroids available at our clinic. Our fibroid treatment procedures include:
Medicinal treatments–our infertility specialists often prescribe Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone Agonists to patients with fibroids. These medications are given as an injection shot and it puts the patient in a temporary menopause state.
Hormone treatments–we also prescribe progestins, oral contraceptive pills, anti-estrogens, and androgenic agents to control heavy bleeding in women with fibroids. These hormonal medicines are not very effective in eliminating fibroids, but are used to control bleeding.
The surgical procedures provided at the Ishwarya combine current technology and medical expertise to treat fibroids in various individuals. Through investment in latest medical technological tools, we are always dedicated to improve clinical outcomes of our surgical procedures. Our surgical procedures for fibroids include:
- Myomectomy– it is a procedure in which only fibroids are removed while preserving the uterus offering the option of childbearing after the treatment. This procedure is often considered above hysterectomy that includes the permanent removal of uterus. There are further three more types of treatment procedures under Myomectomy:
- Laparoscopic myomectomy–this procedure is used to remove fibroids that are located deep in the muscle of the uterine walls (intramural fluids). It is also used to remove suberosal or pedunculated fibroids.
- Hysteroscopic myomectomy–it is used to remove submucosal fibroids. It is a day surgery procedure with 1 day recovery period
- Open myomectomy–in this method, we use a traditional large abdominal incision to remove the fibroids from the body. This method and its use is limited to patients with severe conditions where laparosopic or hysteroscopical removal has proven to be ineffective.
- MR guided focused ultrasound–in this technique, we use ultrasound energy to heat and destroy the fibroids. This method is effective in causing gradual shrinkage of the fibroids.
- Uterine Artery Embolization/Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UAE/UFE)–our interventional radiologists perform this technique at our well-facilitated clinic. In UAE or UFE, the blood flow to the uterus is blocked which leads to necrosis and thus a gradual shrinkage in the fibroids. The average success results of UFE are 90 percent. This means that this method significantly reduces or eliminates uterine fibroid with no further required treatment.
At Ishwarya, we have been providing relief to hundreds of fibroid patients every month. Our nationally acclaimed infertility specialists work closely with you and develop a treatment plan for your disease. As a reputed destination for infertility treatment, our infertility treatment center offers trust and hope to patients around the world. At Ishwarya, we take your concerns seriously and dedicate ourselves to providing compassionate patient care.